30 compelling statistics on selling (II)

2 min read


What are the best techniques for maturing leads? How important is mobility? What advantages do social media offer? And is there a direct link between an educational blog and your company’s sales?

After the success of our post 30 compelling statistics on selling (I), we’ve come up with some new research data to help you optimise your sales management.

1) If you follow up web-generated leads in less than 5 minutes, you’re 9 times more likely to convert them. Source: Insidesales.com

2) The best time to make cold calls is between 4 and 5 pm. The second best time is between 8 and 10 am. And the worst time of the day: between 11 am and 2 pm. Source: Kellogg School of Business

3) In 2007 it took on average 3.68 cold call attempts to reach a prospect. Today that figure is 8. Source: TeleNet and Ovation Sales Group
4) 47% of marketing companies plan to increase their efforts through mobile applications over the next year. Source: Experian
5) 37% of consumers are more likely to buy from a site optimised for mobiles. 27% will leave your website if it’s not mobile-optimised. Source: ExactTarget, 2014 Mobile Behavior Report.
6) In 2013 US$10.46 billion were spent on mobile marketing, compared with US$6.69 billion in 2012. Source: MMA
7) Marketing automation has grown more rapidly than any other CRM-related segment over the past 5 years. Source: Focus Research
8) In 2020, 85% of customer management will take place without face-to-face meetings. Source: Gartner Research
9) Email marketing has twice the ROI of cold calls, networking and trade fairs. Source: Marketing Sherpa
10) Only 25% of leads are legitimate and likely to move forward to a sale. Source: Gleanster Research
11) 61% of B2B marketing sends all its leads directly to sales. However, only 27% of those leads are qualified. Source: Marketing Sherpa
12) 44% of online buyers start by using a search engine. Source: Interconnected World: Shopping & Personal Finance, 2012
13) Tweets published around 4pm tend to get more retweets. Source: Hubspot
14) 43% of all vendors met a customer through LinkedIn in 2013. Source: Hubspot
15) Personalised emails improve the click rate by 14% and conversion rates by 10%. Source: Aberdeen Group
16) B2B vendors say their biggest obstacles to success are lack of staff/human resources, budget, and time. Source: B2B Technology Marketing Community
17) 82% of vendors who blog every day have acquired a customer thanks to their blog, compared to 57% who have a monthly blog. Though even the latter figure is impressive. Source: Hubspot
18) Websites that use the +1 button generate 3.5 more visits in Google+ than sites without the button. More than 40% of vendors report that the network is fundamental to their business. Source: Hubspot
19) Lead nurturing emails achieve a 4-10 times higher response rate and a CTR of 8%, compared to independent mass emailings (which have a CTR of 3%). Source: SilverPop/DemandGen Report.
20) In a typical company of between 100-500 employees, 7 people on average are involved in the majority of buying decisions. Source: Gartner Group
21) The part of a presentation that most sticks in the audience’s minds are the last 5 minutes. So finish off in style!
22) 70% of people make buying decisions to solve problems. The remaining 30% to gain something. Source: Impact Communications
23) 50% of mobile-based searches are carried out with the hope of finding locally based results, and 61% of those searches result in a purchase. Source: Search Engine Watch.
24) 62% of vendors report that social media have played an important role in their marketing campaigns in the last 6 months. Source: Hubspot
25) 68% of B2B companies use landing pages for new conversions from leads to customers. Source: MarketingSherpa
26) People are more likely to visit the website of a B2B technology company if they’ve seen a tweet from that company. Source: KoMarketing Associates
27) 44% of consumers say they like brands that offer sales promotions and coupons via their mobiles. Source: Millward Brown
28) 91% of customers say they would give references for only 11% of the vendors who ask for them. Source: Dale Carnegie
29) 57% of B2B organisations identify “converting potential customers into paying customers” as a priority at the top of the funnel. Source: MarketingSherpa
30) 84% of companies with a CRM use a process of lead scoring to analyse the quality of their leads. Source: Direct Marketing News